Monday, December 3, 2007

Today Has Been A Blessed Day

Lately - and by that I mean primarily this morning - I have been struck by the fact that I am a bad friend. School ended a few months back. A few of my friends moved back to where they were originally from. Very few moved to new locations and started real careers. Most of us stayed within a few mile radius of our former college. I have had little contact with those who have stayed near, and far less with those who have moved farther. The conviction of my poor friendship stems primarily from my sporadic attempts to contact one specific friend - Tyler - whom I missed meeting up with when he visited a few weeks back.

As I sat around this morning being a lazy bum, enjoying the day off, and procrastinating on the things I put aside until my day off Lewis called about switching shifts. As we talked he told me more about what's going on with Tyler and we talked about Dave moving into his new place. Lewis and I both expressed desire to meet up, but both of us being who we are made no plans. I then called Dave about returning items I moved with me when I left the place we shared for a portion of the summer until he went off to Spain. It worked out that Dave was going to go work at a coffee shop a few blocks from my house so I went over to see him. He was chatting with Topher - the first one of "us" to get married - whom I also have not seen since the wedding. I joined in on the chat and listened as he told that he was enjoying the his work at a church out in New York and gave the type of advice the first one of "us" to get married would give. I laughed like a forth grade boy and enjoyed it.

Later while in the library with Caitlin I ran into Caleb. Caleb has had a rough semester from being stretched to thin and not being excited about his classes. We talked about how none of us keep in contact anymore and that the things we used to love are not so enjoyable without those whom we love. I walked home with Caitlin and we ate the chocolate chip pancakes which we made together I was thinking about the day. I still have not been able to get a hold of Tyler after many attempts I miss him. I want to encourage him and feel his encouragement myself. I decided to be more proactive about fixing my poor friendship. I gave Lewis a call and we decided to meet for a beer and appetizers after he gets off work tomorrow. I also called another friend and he is going to call me back later.

I guess all this rambling goes to say that life is just too hard for us to do on our own and sometimes God, rather than teaching me a lesson the hard way, does it through blessings.


No comments: